On November 18, DIAGEO World Class, the largest international cocktail competition, hosted an intimate Happy Hour with World Class Global Winner David Rios of The Jigger Cocktail Bar in Bilbao, Spain and U.S. Bartender of the Year Jeff Bell of PDT in NYC at the newly opened Honeycut in downtown Los Angeles.
Rios was crowned with the title of World's Best Bartender in July after the Global World Class Final with Jeff Bell coming in second overall; each beating out 42 worthy competitors. To celebrate Rios's first trip to the U.S. as well as the launch of Travel Channel's "World's Best Bartender," which premiered last night (click here for additional air times), the mixologists served attendees their title-worthy cocktails, which they shared with THE TASTING PANEL below.
Wild Strawberries Film
created by Diageo World Class Global Winner David Rios
1¼ ounces Ketel One Vodka
½ ounce Italian Apéritif and Wild Strawberries Infusion
½ ounce fresh grapefruit juice
⅓ ounce simple syrup
2 dashes orange bitters
Lemon zest spritz
Sliced strawberries and mint leaf for garnish
- Muddle strawberry using simple syrup in Boston shaker.
- Add Ketel One Vodka, Italian apéritif and wild strawberries infusion, fresh grapefruit juice, egg white, orange bitters and ice and shake vigorously.
- Double strain contents into chilled Coupette glass.
- Garnish with a sliced strawberry, lemon zest spritz and mint leaf.
Ideal Serving Glass: coupette glass
Yield: 1 drink, no drink contains more than 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol
created by USBG Diageo World Class U.S. Bartender of the Year Jeff Bell
1 ounce Tanqueray No. TEN Gin
½ ounce almond milk
⅓ ounce simple syrup
¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
¼ ounce fresh lime juice
1 egg white
2 drops rose water
Club soda for top
- Combine Tanqueray No. TEN, almond milk, simple syrup, fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice, an egg white and rose water into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Fine strain into a chilled Collins glass.
- Top with club soda.
Ideal Serving Glass: Collins glass
Yield:1 drink, no drink contains more than 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol